North Idaho

Kyle Odom's Martian Chronicles

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Kyle Odom is an honorably discharged Marine, a Dean's List graduate from the University of Idaho and a man driven to kill a Coeur d'Alene pastor based on his belief that his life had been ruined "by an intelligent species of amphibian-humanoid from Mars."

In multiple documents in a thumb drive mailed to KXLY Monday and received Tuesday, Odom laid out his manifesto that a race of ancient Martians, with subterranean bases on Earth and under the surface of the Moon, had subverted all levels of the US and Israeli governments, ranging from top ranking members of the US Senate – including Washington Sen. Patty Murray and US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell – as well as members of the US House of Representatives and many Israeli lawmakers including "every single Prime Minister since 1948."

In a media briefing Monday in the wake of the shooting of Pastor Tim Remington of the Altar Church in Coeur d'Alene Sunday, in which Odom was named the suspect within hours of the shooting, Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White alluded to the fact that Odom had a history of mental illness, though the depth and breadth of that illness was not known. An honorably discharged Marine who served with the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing at Camp Pendleton, Calif. for four years, Odom had deployed on a combat tour to Iraq during his tour of duty, but there has been no indication he suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and was honorably discharged in late 2010.

In his manifesto, which is laid out across multiple electronic documents, he claims that things started going sideways for him while he was in his final semester at the University of Idaho. By his own admission he was taking a heavy course load, maintaining a high grade point average, working toward a degree in biochemistry, which he earned along in late 2014 when he graduated Magna Cum Laude.

He writes in a document titled "My Story" that in order to cope during that last semester he began meditating and worked on achieving "extreme states of consciousness." During one of his meditation sessions he claims he encountered another being, which he described as a blue light, and he began feeling varying emotions ranging from guilt to unconditional love.

After that moment he claimed he was unable to meditate and the thought of meditating had been stripped from his mind yet the rest of his final semester went easily for him. He started applying to graduate programs at various universities, received several offers, accepted one at the Baylor College of Medicine to work on a doctorate in human genetics.

According to his Facebook profile, Odom moved to Houston in 2014 after graduation from the University of Idaho, and his manifesto reports that he remained in Houston from July through October of that year. During his time there, he claimed he started seeing flaws in what he was being taught, felt like he was wasting his time, and attempts to discuss this with his advisor were rebuffed with casual comments to, "Just have fun."

When he decided to leave Baylor things turned sour for Odom, he claimed. Two graduate students reached out to him – students he claims he learned later were not human – who he claimed were tasked with molding him into being "the next school shooter." Odom says he left Texas and the program at Baylor and started looking for work across the country, but one job interview went disastrously and he decided to fly home.

On that flight, Odom claims an older gentleman looked at him from his seat in front of him and Odom's head began to hurt, the man responding to his pain with what Odom called an "evil looking smile." Another person on the flight held up a newspaper that said "Psychic Reading" on it, and by the end of the flight, the old man told Odom to buy a TracFone.

Odom claims he bought a TracFone and then, about a month later, he says someone sent him a text message. That person, he claims, was John Padula, a pastor at the Altar Church in Coeur d'Alene. He went to the church, felt something was wrong, and a few days later he claims he started receiving text messages from Tim Remington, also a pastor at Altar Church. At first he received biblical passages he dubbed innocuous, he claims the messages later became threatening, followed several days later with helicopters buzzing Odom's house day and night.

Odom claimed he was unable to sleep at night, that he started hearing a song playing over and over in his head. He started having, by his admission, a mental breakdown, and decided to fly to Albuquerque, where his family was at the time. During the flight, he claimed a man sitting next to him was telling him telepathically that he was going to crash the plane, and felt relief when he finally arrived and reunited with his family. The happy reunion was short-lived, however as the people began threatening his family, and he said he'd go back to the Altar Church in Coeur d'Alene as a concession for leaving his family alone.

At the church he claims everyone he dealt with there was an extraterrestrial, that began to hear voices and hallucinate over the course of the next several weeks, and Odom claimed he tried to hold on to his sanity.

"Humans are nothing more than the result of a successful genetic experiment," he says a group of old men told him while he was in a Safeway bakery one day. His anxiety growing, Odom said he tried to commit suicide by filling a charcoal grill with lit coals into his car and then sat inside with the windows rolled up, the attempt ending in extreme panic with him bolting from the car.

Checking himself into the VA Medical Center, he was placed into the psychiatric ward, but claims nothing helped, the medication did nothing to improve his disposition, and that their "goal was to run my life by making me into a crazy person."

He eventually left the VA, started attending church again and eventually after one service ended up talking to Tim Remington who, he claims, showed his true, non-human face for several seconds.

In 2015 Odom decided to pursue a career in pharmacy, enrolled in classes at North Idaho College, and started volunteering at a local pharmacy. But Odom said the pressure on him from outside forces, from the Martians and their advanced technology millions of years ahead of human technology, got the best of him, manipulating his brain, to the point that he couldn't go on, that he had to take action against the Martians that were hiding in plain sight in front of everyone.

"I have done nothing wrong to deserve what has happened to me," Odom wrote. "I tried literally everything to find a job, and they sabotaged me at every corner. Initially, I thought the right thing to do was kill myself. After attempting suicide twice, it became clear they weren't going to let me die easy."

"My last resort was to take actions to bring this to the public's attention. I hope something good comes of it. Just realize that I am a good person, and I'm completely innocent. Also realize that the 'people' I killed are not who you think."

The people that Odom was planning to kill were Tim Remington and John Padula, who he claimed had minds that had been controlled from birth by the Martians, living deep underground on Earth and underneath the Moon's surface, breeding humans like cattle while other 'wild humans' would serve as sex slaves.

Reality came crashing down in the last three days.

Remington, though shot six times, including a bullet that hit his head, survived the shooting Sunday, and is recovering in the Intensive Care Unit at Kootenai Health. Padula was placed under protective guard by the Coeur d'Alene Police Department once authorities discovered that Odom had targeted him as well.

And Kyle Odom, the man who claimed Martians had tried to ruin his life, drove to Boise after allegedly shooting Remington, flew to Washington, DC, and was taken into custody by the US Secret Service at the White House Tuesday evening as he was seen throwing objects over the south fence in presumably an attempt to alert President Obama to the Martian menace.

Odom is currently in custody in Washington, DC, and, following a Secret Service investigation into the incident at the White House, will eventually be extradited back to Coeur d'Alene to face attempted murder charges for shooting Remington.