POST FALLS, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Department is investigating an early morning fatal crash east of Post Falls.
The crash happened around 12:30 a.m. at the intersection of Poleline Avenue and Meyer Road just east of Post Falls.
Officials said they believe the car involved was speeding when the driver, identified as Michelle Longstreet, 26, of Post Falls, lost control and crashed into a tree. The car rolled and both Longstreet and a passenger in the car, 23-year-old Yuri Raper of Post Falls, were ejected.
Raper was pronounced dead at the scene; Longstreet was taken to Kootenai Medical Center in critical condition.
Neither of them was wearing a seat belt; deputies are investigating to determine whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home