SANDPOINT, Idaho - A northern Idaho judge has denied a request for a new trial by a Blanchard man convicted of kidnapping and raping a former girlfriend.
The Bonner County Daily Bee reports that a 1st District judge turned down 54-year-old Joe Frederick Ransom's request on Friday.
A jury convicted Ransom on Oct. 14. A family friend of Ransom says she overheard a juror express an opinion about the case before it was submitted to them for deliberation.
The family friend testified that she heard a jury say, "I truly believed her."
Judge Barbara Buchanan says it's not clear if the juror was referring to the victim, another witness, or unrelated news events.
Buchanan says there's insufficient evidence to support jury misconduct.
Ransom is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 12.
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March