COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A northern Idaho family says their dog was killed after it was caught in an unmarked large animal trap in a forest near Kellogg.
Post Falls resident Sarah Miller told the Coeur d'Alene Press that her family was hiking Sunday when their dog, Loyal encountered the body-gripping trap about 20 feet off the road.
Miller says she tried to release the jaws of the trap but it wouldn't budge, and her 12-year-old son watched as their pet died.
Miller says she called Idaho Fish and Game but the agency said there was nothing they could do because the trapper's name wasn't on the trap. Miller says trappers aren't required to post warning signs.
Another northern Idaho family reported their dog died in a similar trap last month.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday