Owners of a Silver Valley mine say a worker killed there several years ago was responsible for his own death.
Larry Marek was killed in a tunnel collapse in the Lucky Friday Mine in 2011. His family is suing the Hecla mining company, saying the company put profit ahead of safety.
Federal investigators determined support pillars had been undercut to get to additional silver inside the mine and fined Hecla more than $300,000.
But in court documents filed in the case, Hecla says Marek and his brother weren't supposed to be working in that area of the mine. The company says that proves it didn't intentionally put the men in harm's way.
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car