North Idaho

Fugitive Mitchell Walck captured in Bismarck, N.D.

SPOKANE, Wash. - Fugitive Mitchell Walck was apprehended by police officers in Bismarck, North Dakota Tuesday morning, bringing to an end a three-day manhunt.

Bismarck is approximately 200 miles east from Glendive, MT., where Walck dropped off a woman he had kidnapped from her Rathdrum home last weekend.

Walck, 57, was arrested just after 12 p.m. Central Time Tuesday following a brief foot pursuit with Bismarck police officers that ended when they found him hiding behind a tree in a trailer park.

Bismarck Police Sergeant Mark Buschena said that a truck driver reported that a man entered his vehicle at the Oasis Truck Stop in Bismarck. The trucker told police he was returning to his truck when he got in and found Walck inside.

Walck reportedly threatened the driver with a handgun and then got out of the truck and ran to a nearby trailer park. Police arrived at the trailer park and an eyewitness directed them to the area where Walck was last seen. A perimeter was set up and officers found him hiding under a pine tree.

When he was taken into custody he had a 9mm handgun in his waistband. Police also recovered a 2005 Subaru Forester he had stolen from a Rathdrum resident after he kidnapped her last weekend.

Fugitive Walck arrested ND

Walck is wanted in Idaho for allegedly opening fire on an Idaho State Police officer following a chase and foot pursuit in Rathdrum last weekend. He eluded capture though authorities did seize a stolen truck he was driving.

Walck later snuck into a home, took a 62-year-old homeowner hostage, kidnapped her, stole two guns and her car and drove the woman across Montana before dropping her off unharmed in Glendive, MT. near the North Dakota border.

She has since been returned home to Idaho safely.

In addition to the charges he's facing in Idaho, Walck is facing new charges in North Dakota for unlawful entry of a motor vehicle, terrorizing and felon in possession of a firearm.

He is currently being held by the Bismarck Police Department but will be taken to the Burleigh County Detention Center in Bismarck after the local police complete their investigation.

Walck wanted kidnapping to be a federal case

Long before Mitchell Walck's cross-country flight ended under a pine tree in a Bismarck, N.D. trailer park Wednesday, the FBI was putting together a federal case against him, one that Walck apparently wanted.

Walck, who is facing local charges in Idaho and North Dakota, is also facing charges of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

Last Saturday, after the chase involving Walck, driving a stolen truck, and an Idaho State Patrol trooper ended when a spike strip disabled the truck, Walck fired a single shot at the trooper during a foot pursuit. The trooper pulled back, responding officers set up a perimeter but were unable to locate Walck, who they identified through items found in the stolen truck.

That afternoon, as a woman was letting her cat out of her house, a man approached her and, at gunpoint, forced her back inside her home. While holding her at gunpoint, Walck bathed, changed clothes, ate some food, stole two rifles and then, after nightfall, kidnapped the woman in her 2005 Subaru Forester.

Walck drove west into Washington, where he got on to Interstate 90 and headed east back into Idaho, across Montana and then drove into North Dakota. The victim asked him not to take her into North Dakota, to which he replied that he wanted to take her to as many states as possible to insure her kidnapping became a federal case.

In fact, throughout the drive, Walck told the victim his full name and made sure she memorized it, and told her that after he released her to only talk with the FBI.

He then turned around and drove west back into Montana, dropping her off in front of an Albertson's supermarket in Glendive Sunday afternoon, but not before telling her he intended to head to western Montana.

Staff members at the Montana Rescue Mission in Billings reported seeing a man matching Walck's description show up for dinner Tuesday night; that individual was gone by the time local police arrived.

He was arrested Wednesday morning in Bismarck.