COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A state judge has ordered a Coeur d'Alene fly shop owner to serve five days in jail for violating a court order stemming from allegations he failed to provide workers' compensation insurance.
The Idaho Industrial Commission announced the penalty Tuesday for Joe Roope Jr., owner of Joe Roope's Castaway Fly Shop Inc.
The commission won a judgment against Roope in 2011 after the store's workers' compensation policy lapsed for eight months. Commission officials also say the 2011 lapse followed two other periods where the business operated without insurance for workers.
A state court ordered Roope to close his business until he obtained insurance, a requirement under Idaho law.
In a statement, Roope did not address the commission's allegations, but said the shop now has insurance and remains open for business.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives