SPIRIT LAKE, Idaho. - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Department recovered the body of a teenage male from Spirit Lake Sunday.
The body has been identified as 18-year-old Luke Anana-Kuewa. He was found just after noon on Sunday by hikers in the area.
Marine deputies and investigators were on scene all afternoon. At first they said it was difficult from them to get to the body because of the unsafe ice in the lake.
Sheriff's deputies said the teen was about 3 to 4 feet underwater and only a small portion of the back of his body was visible.Dead 18-year-old pulled out of Spirit Lake
Sheriff's deputies don't know how long he had been submerged in the water.
The cause of death is under investigation. Once an autopsy is complete, more information will be available about Anana-Kuewa's death.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday