GRANGEVILLE, Idaho - Idaho County commissioners in northern Idaho say the Nez Perce Tribe owes the county about $325,000 in garbage fees covering the last 20 years.
Commissioners late last month sent a letter to Nez Perce Tribal Executive Committee Chairman Silas C. Whitman demanding the money for garbage collection from 1995 to 2014.
The county in the letter obtained by the Lewiston Tribune says it hasn't yet calculated how much is owed for 1987 to 1994.
The commissioners also want the tribe to budget about $19,000 annually for garbage collection on property owned by the tribe in Idaho County.
Tribe spokeswoman Julie Kane says Whitman likely hasn't yet had a chance to review the letter, and the tribe has no comment for now.
- Preparing for potential flooding
- Private plowers celebrating winter weather
- Providence Health Care restricting visitors to combat flu season
- Statuses updated for injured Bonner deputies, suspected shooter
- Spokane Public Schools explains decision to hold class Wednesday
- Spokane crews working to fight potential floods