COLFAX, Wash. - Charges will not be filed in the brawl between University of Idaho and Washington State University football players that left one player with career-ending injuries.
Whitman County Prosecutor Denis Tracy declined to prosecute Idaho Vandal receiver Roman Runner and WSU Cougar receiver Mansel Simmons.
Runner allegedly punched Simmons when he charged him during an altercation that occurred outside a house party that the players were attending on Pullman's College Hill in late March. Simmons suffered a serious head injury and was flown to a Spokane hospital.
Pullman police asked that Runner be charged with second degree felony assault and Simmons be charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
Tracy has decided to drop the case, saying that Runner likely acted in self defense.
Tracy admits that Simmons was likely the instigator and the extent of his injuries from the punch are preventing him from filing a disorderly conduct charge.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives