MOSCOW, Idaho - The Latah County Republican Party has voted to censure its chairman for his vote as a Moscow city councilor supporting an ordinance outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation.
The Moscow-Pullman Daily News reports that a small assembly of county Republican precinct committee members voted 7-6 earlier this month to censure Walter Steed for his city council vote.
Committee member Gresham Bouma says the ordinance will penalize business owners for their personal beliefs when it comes to hiring.
The censure follows a no confidence vote by committee members two months ago after Steed supported a council letter to the Idaho Legislature suggesting ways to prevent gun violence, which committee members viewed as an attack on gun ownership rights.
Steed, on vacation in Europe, has the chairman post through May 2014.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River