SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A mother and her son were able to safely escape their duplex after it caught fire Tuesday evening.
The Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to the call on the 14500 block of E. 6th Ave.
A neighbor called 911 to report the fire around 10 p.m. and stated flames were coming from the roof of the duplex.
The duplex was vacant on one side and rented on the other by the woman and her 8-year-old son.
The two were sleeping when they heard glass breaking. When the mother went upstairs to investigate, she saw fire in the dining room.
No injuries were reported.
Fire investigators determined the fire was started by an improperly disposed cigarette on the back deck.
- I-90 closed at Vantage Bridge due to crash
- What's considered low-income in Spokane?
- Former WSU student sentenced to 12 years for drugs
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump