EPHRATA, Wash. - A Moses Lake couple accused of starving their 2-year-old son were convicted Wednesday of criminal mistreatment.
Grant County prosecutors said Robert and Michelle Staats ignored advice and warnings and used herbal and homeopathic treatments for the boy who kept spitting up most of his food.
Judge Evan Sperline says the boy starved because the parents clung to an approach that wasn't working.
The website iFIBER One News reports the boy suffered a heart attack in May 2012. He's now 4 years old and suffers from brain damage.
He weighed less than 10 pounds when he was airlifted to a Spokane hospital.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River