EPHRATA, Wash. - A Moses Lake couple whose malnourished 2-year-old son suffered a heart attack while they followed their belief in alternative medicine were sentenced to six months in jail.
The Grant County Superior Court judge said Tuesday that Robert and Michelle Staats could serve the sentences on home detention, and Robert Staats is eligible for work release.
The website iFIBER One News reports the boy is now 4 years old and suffers from brain damage.
The parents were convicted in May of criminal mistreatment for failing to adequately feed their son. The judge says they boy starved because the parents clung to an inadequate feeding plan.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River