SPOKANE, Wash. - A pedestrian is lucky to be alive after he was hit by a train in the University District in Spokane early Wednesday morning.
The incident happened around 4 a.m. near Sprague Avenue and Scott Street, just south of the Washington State University Riverpoint Campus.
Police said the man was walking on the tracks intoxicated when a train approached him. The engineer of the train said he tried to stop the train, but it clipped the man.
The man is lucky to be alive; he was taken to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police will be at the scene investigating until late Wednesday morning.
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position
- National Weather Service issues Ice Storm Warning for Grant County
- Thousands turn out for MLK march
- Otter orders cybersecurity improvements for Idaho