SPOKANE, Wash. - A pedestrian is lucky to be alive after he was hit by a train in the University District in Spokane early Wednesday morning.
The incident happened around 4 a.m. near Sprague Avenue and Scott Street, just south of the Washington State University Riverpoint Campus.
Police said the man was walking on the tracks intoxicated when a train approached him. The engineer of the train said he tried to stop the train, but it clipped the man.
The man is lucky to be alive; he was taken to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police will be at the scene investigating until late Wednesday morning.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting