WAPATO, Wash. - Yakima County emergency responders rescued a man who was trapped in a car that landed in the Yakima River Sunday evening at Wapato.
A witness saw one man make it to shore, but another man was apparently trapped in the car as it filled with frigid water.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports the sheriff's swiftwater rescue boat arrived in time to pull him to safety. He was taken to a hospital to be treated for hypothermia and possible injuries from the accident.
Sgt. Chad Petershmick says it's unclear how the vehicle ended up in the water. It's also unclear why the first man left the scene, although he may have simply been going for help.
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties