MEDICAL LAKE, Wash. - An illegal alien was arrested in a Medical Lake home after leading deputies on a brief chase Tuesday afternoon.
Isidro Mendez-Ortega, 42, was arrested on charges of obstructing, resisting arrest, forgery, illegal alien in possession of a firearm and second degree burglary.
Spokane County Sheriff's Deputy Craig Chamberlin said that the incident started as a traffic stop along Interstate 90 near Four Lakes. When Ortega was pulled over the officer noticed he had a rifle in the car; as he was being questioned the officer discovered Mendez also had a Social Security identification card that had been forged.
The deputy asked for the rifle -- Ortega said he had been hunting -- and placed it in his patrol car and then called for assistance from the Border Patrol. As other officers were being called to the scene, Ortega ran off toward Silver Lake.
Sheriff's K-9 Jet helped tracked him down to a building behind a home on Silver Lake Road. A perimeter was set up around the building and he was taken into custody.
Border Patrol agents are familiar with Ortega; he has been deported from the United States before and was able to get a Social Security car using falsified information.
- Bloomsday Run adjusts to Riverfront Park's redesign
- 4 Things to Know for April 24th
- Post Falls Police search for two young runaways
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school