WENATCHEE, Wash. - Juvenile salmon are flying over two Columbia River dams near Vantage.
The Grant County Public Utility District is using helicopters to release tagged salmon to track their movements through Wanapum and Priest Rapids dams.
Utility spokesman Chuck Allen told The Wenatchee World helicopters are being used to reduce the time it takes to transport and release the fish in the middle of the river.
The utility is required to study and mitigate juvenile salmon deaths as part of the license to operate the dams.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home