YAKIMA, Wash. - Yakima County commissioners voted Tuesday to charge inmates a $50 booking fee when they are locked up in the county jail.
The fee will go into effect June 1 to help cover costs.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports the jail holds more than 750 inmates and about 450 are local. The rest are housed under contracts with other jurisdictions.
The $50 fee will be returned to inmates who cases do not result in convictions.
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'