SUNNYSIDE, Wash. - A shoplifting suspect fleeing a Wal-Mart security guard jumped in a canal at Sunnyside and drowned.
Police Cmdr. Scott Bailey says the loss prevention officer jumped into the water trying to save the man Wednesday but he was swept away in the current. The security guard was able to climb out and call for help.
KIMA reports the Yakima County coroner is still trying to identify the drowning victim. He's a white man in his 30s, about 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds. He has tattoos of the name "Mary" and a burning skull on his arms.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River