SUNNYSIDE, Wash. - A shoplifting suspect fleeing a Wal-Mart security guard jumped in a canal at Sunnyside and drowned.
Police Cmdr. Scott Bailey says the loss prevention officer jumped into the water trying to save the man Wednesday but he was swept away in the current. The security guard was able to climb out and call for help.
KIMA reports the Yakima County coroner is still trying to identify the drowning victim. He's a white man in his 30s, about 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds. He has tattoos of the name "Mary" and a burning skull on his arms.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday