Fire destroyed a home in Spokane Valley Sunday around noon. The smoke from the fire could be seen all the way from Spokane. The destroyed home is located at 5523 North Best Road.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames engulfing the house. Inside, new furniture and windows the family just purchased was burning. Fire crews say the fire may have started on the back deck. Power lines overhead were knocked down, and roads were blocked until Avista could cut the power.
Jayme Brien lives across the street.
"I just have never seen anything happen so fast," Brien said.
Brien was working in her backyard when she heard sirens, and walked around front to see her neighbor's house on fire.
"I was hoping the whole family was out of there. We know that most of them had gone onto church, they usually do. But we didn't know about all of them," she said.
Brien was right, everyone was safe. They weren't even home when it happened, but now the family of five is displaced.
"You see these things on the news all the time, but you don't realize how quickly everything goes up, and it's gone," she said.
Fire marshals say the family has insurance, and plan to stay with family. Investigators will try and determine the cause and origin of the fire.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday