SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane firefighters responded to a duplex fire near Mission and Riverton Avenues around 5 a.m. Tuesday.
According to firefighters, there was a fire at the same duplex last Wednesday and the residence has not had electricity since then. Four teenage boys were home and tried to warm the house up with a makeshift fire using wood pallets. Their mother was staying at a hotel.
The fire got out of control, causing the boys to wake up to smoke. They called 911.
Avista was on-scene investigating a claim that the owners of the duplex were stealing electricity from a neighboring house using an extension cord.
Red Cross is assisting the family, as they have been told by firefighters to stay out of the house for the time being.
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'
- Humane Society volunteer wins award for shelter