SPOKANE, Wash. - A 27-year veteran of the Spokane Firefighter Department was injured as crews worked a fire burning at Beacon Cleaners on Grand Boulevard Friday night.
Officials say the fire appears to have started outside the building before making its way inside. No cause is currently known but an investigation is underway.
Two postal vehicles parked near the building were damaged.
The firefighter fell off the building's roof in full gear and landed on his back. He was taken to the hospital and his condition is not currently known.
Firefighters approached the fire with caution given the cleaning chemicals and flammable clothing inside.
The building was empty at the time. The fire was put out just before 11 p.m.
- Fall Festival celebrates 30th year
- Businesses file claim against city for Monroe Street Project
- SNAP teaches families how to "Give Yourself a Raise"
- County budget deficit, lagging license sales threaten SCRAPS programs
- Extreme Team Project underway at Recovery Cafe
- Thieves drill into gas tanks to steal gas