KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - BREAKING: An empty coal train derailed west of Kootenai Bay Road on Montana Rail Link's mainline.
The train was headed eastbound when it encountered a washed-out section of the tracks. 50-60 empty coal cars and one locomotive were derailed, but remained upright.
No injuries were reported and no hazardous material was released.
Railroad first responders are currently on-site assessing the situation.
The estimated time for the opening of the main track has not been determined.
This is a developing story. We will update when we have more information.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting