ELLENSBURG, Wash. - Some students at Ellensburg High School are circulating a petition asking administrators to allow them to decorate their mortar board caps at graduation.
The Daily Record reports they also demonstrated recently, carrying signs that said "Lift the EHS cap decorating ban," and "Honk if you support creativity."
Principal Jeff Ellersick says high school graduation is a ceremony "like a wedding or baptism situation" and he doesn't want anything to draw attention from the recognition.
Ellensburg students who show up in a decorated cap at the June 6 graduation will have their diplomas held until they swap for a clean cap.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday