ELLENSBURG, Wash. - Some students at Ellensburg High School are circulating a petition asking administrators to allow them to decorate their mortar board caps at graduation.
The Daily Record reports they also demonstrated recently, carrying signs that said "Lift the EHS cap decorating ban," and "Honk if you support creativity."
Principal Jeff Ellersick says high school graduation is a ceremony "like a wedding or baptism situation" and he doesn't want anything to draw attention from the recognition.
Ellensburg students who show up in a decorated cap at the June 6 graduation will have their diplomas held until they swap for a clean cap.
- 4 Things To Know For April 26
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up