SPOKANE, Wash. - UPDATE: The man who was shot in the leg died at the hospital. Friends tell KXLY4 News the victim is former Spokane Empire player, Carl Sims.
Following the shooting, police expected he would make a full recovery, but a friend said he died. Spokane police were not able to independently confirm Sims' identity because he died in the hospitals. That information can only be confirmed by the Medical Examiner's Office.
Two people were detained at the time of the shooting, both claiming self defense.
Spokane Police say one man was shot in the leg when an argument got out of control on the corner of Sprague and Washington early Sunday morning at bar break.
When police arrived at the scene around 1:30 a.m. they learned the victim's injuries were life threatening. He was brought inside Monterey Cafe to be treated and is expected to recover.
Police have now learned that it all started when two people were arguing.
One pulled a knife, one pulled a gun and a third person was shot.
They would not confirm if the person who was shot was a bystander or if they were involved in the argument. The other two men were detained and have claimed self defense.
- Thanksgiving travel tips for local flyers
- Holiday deals for the savvy consumer
- New details emerge in Medical Lake High School explicit photo drive
- Travel easier during the busiest holiday weekend in a decade
- Cantwell fights higher park fees
- Padden named ranking member on Senate Law and Justice committee