SPOKANE, Wash. - Deputies are investigating an early morning shooting at a Safeway grocery store on Francis Avenue that left one man wounded.
According to Spokane County Sheriff's deputies, the shooting happened near the Safeway at Francis Avenue and Wall Street just after 4 a.m. Tuesday.
Two men were acting suspicious around the grocery store, according to reports from deputies. When they arrived, they contacted two men, one of whom had a gunshot wound to his leg.
The men said they were jumped and shot and that they were just looking for some water to clean the wound.
Deputies however determined that the man actually accidentally shot himself in the leg at his house near Safeway. They also figured out the man is a convicted felon and known gang member who is not allowed to have a weapon.
The man had to be released, however, because he didn't have a weapon on him. He declined medical treatment and left.
The incident is under investigation.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives