MEDICAL LAKE, Wash. - The Spokane County Sheriff's Office has arrested a man in connection to the vandalism at the Lake City Assembly of God church in Medical Lake.
Sometime Saturday night, church on East Grace Street was broken into. The church's associate pastor said the vandal sprayed fire extinguishers in several rooms, kicked in doors and windows, pried open a soda machine and poured soda on musical instruments and electronics. The pastor at the church said they are looking at about $50,000 in damage.
The damage was discovered early Sunday morning.
Deputies who responded to the church Sunday morning said this was one of the most horrific case of vandalism they had ever seen.
"Deputies were overwhelmed at the amount of damage that the suspects or suspect did at this church," said Spokane County Sheriff's Deputy Craig Chamberlin.
Police arrested Joseph Knop, 23, Tuesday night at his home on the 500 block of East Campbell in Medical Lake.
Detectives said that Knop admitted to the vandalism. He also told them several items that he stole from the church were inside his house. Inside, detectives found electronics and musical instruments. The items were returned to the church.
Knop was booked into the Spokane County Jail on charges of second-degree burglary and first-degree malicious mischief.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday