ELLENSBURG, Wash. - A chimpanzee at Central Washington University who learned to use American Sign Language has died at the age of 36.
Dr. Mary Lee Jensvold says the chimpanzee, Dar, died Saturday morning of unknown causes. Jensvold directs the Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute. She says an autopsy will be performed in the next few days.
The university says Dar was born at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico. He learned to sign from infancy and was moved to CWU in 1981.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday