ELLENSBURG, Wash. - A chimpanzee at Central Washington University who learned to use American Sign Language has died at the age of 36.
Dr. Mary Lee Jensvold says the chimpanzee, Dar, died Saturday morning of unknown causes. Jensvold directs the Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute. She says an autopsy will be performed in the next few days.
The university says Dar was born at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico. He learned to sign from infancy and was moved to CWU in 1981.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults