WENATCHEE, Wash. - Chelan County is suing its former bank, Bank of America, over $600,000 in losses from an international cybertheft last year.
The Wenatchee World reports the theft occurred after hackers stole password information from Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth. The Chelan County Treasurer's Office handles accounts for the nonprofit hospital.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Spokane, says Bank of America processed at least $603,000 of the stolen money even after the treasurer's office informed the bank that the transactions weren't authorized.
The hackers were believed to be based in Russia or Central Asia. The county did recover about $420,000 in related fraudulent transactions.
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position
- National Weather Service issues Ice Storm Warning for Grant County
- Thousands turn out for MLK march