CHATTAROY, Wash. - A Chattaroy man is dead after a fire at his manufactured home Wednesday night.
Police say it appears the man deliberately set the fire himself using fireworks.
Sheriff's deputies spotted smoke coming out of a home on the 4900 block of E. Chattaroy Road and called the Spokane County Fire Department for assistance.
Fire crews found a man dead in the back of the house. He is known to KXLY only as "Brian."
Investigators say it appears a wall fell on top of the man, making it difficult for crews to locate him.
Brian's parents made it out of the home safely. Brain's father says his son had a history of mental illness and had only been in the home a few days.
His father says Brian argued with his parents, then locked himself in the back bedroom and lit off firecrackers.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives