SPOKANE, Wash. - Due to dry conditions and hot weather, two burn bans went into effect around Spokane County Tuesday afternoon.
Spokane County announced a burn ban for unincorporated parts of the county, which goes into effect immediately and remains in place until further notice.
The ban restricts open burning and unauthorized residential campfires; it does not restrict campfires, fireplaces and barbecues.
A similar ban has also been into effect within Spokane city limits. The city fire marshal put the restriction in place Tuesday afternoon. Open fires are not permitted.
In both the city and county, failure to comply with the burn order is a misdemeanor and carry up to a $1,000 fine and up to 90 days in jail.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults