NINE MILE FALLS, Wash. - A male body was found in the Spokane River Monday afternoon around 4:45 p.m. about a mile south of the Seven Mile Bridge.
A homeowner on the west bank of the river says his wife saw what she believed was a log against their dock. Looking closer, they both identified it was a body. They called 911, and Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies responded.
Deputies say the body was badly decomposed. The Search and Rescue dive team launched their boat around 8:30 p.m. to assist. Air One was in the area and provided a spotlight during the retrieval.
Deputies then pulled the body from the water and onto the shore. The medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to try and identify the man and the cause of death.
Sheriff's deputies did not immediately know of any recent cases of a missing person in the river. Detectives will continue to investigate.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line