ELK, Wash. - Authorities confirm they have found a body near where missing Spokane Valley resident Sam Counts' car was located near Mt. Spokane Friday afternoon.
The medical examiner will confirm whether or not the body found Friday afternoon is that of Counts, 71, who disappeared a week ago, however deputies believe that it is in fact Counts.
Earlier in the day, Air 1 located Counts' vehicle in the 29000 block of North Blanchard Creek Road. The area where the car was found is heavily wooded west of Mt. Spokane.
A Search and Rescue team was called to the area where the car was found, a command post was established, and teams with bloodhounds on the ground were supported by Air 1 above in searching for Counts.
The Air 1 crew spotted the body about a quarter mile away from where Counts' car was found.
Counts left home Nov. 23 around 4 p.m. to go the Franz Bakery at the intersection of Fancher and Sprague in Spokane Valley to pick up a loaf of bread for his wife.Missing man's body recovered
"It was close to four when he left, mom said, and we're just afraid that he got there and they were closed and then he became disoriented and turned the wrong way," Counts' daughter, Sue Belote, said in an interview earlier this week.
He hadn't been seen or heard from since he disappeared.
- I-90 closed at Vantage Bridge due to crash
- What's considered low-income in Spokane?
- Former WSU student sentenced to 12 years for drugs
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump