PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. - The Defense Department says an Air Force captain assigned to Peterson Air Force Base has died from an explosion in Afghanistan.
The Pentagon says 28-year-old David I. Lyon of Sandpoint, Idaho, died Thursday.
His vehicle was hit by an improvised explosive device in Kabul.
Lyon was assigned to the 21st Logistics Readiness Squadron at Peterson. He was serving a yearlong deployment and was an advisor to Afghan National Army commandos.
He was a graduate of the Air Force Academy and had been in the Air Force for five years. He had been stationed at Peterson since January 2010.
- I-90 semi crash closes westbound lanes
- Spokane officer identified in Sunday shooting
- Senator to reporter: "None of your business" when education plan will be ready
- Eastbound Snoqualmie Pass lanes to open at 4 p.m.
- Westbound I-90 reopened at Fourth of July Pass
- Popular alt-right figure Milo Yiannopoulos cancels WSU appearance