GRANGER, Wash. - The Yakima County sheriff's office says a Granger family overpowered an armed man who had taken them hostage after a carjacking and high-speed chase from Sunnyside.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports the suspect, 27-year-old Richard Yallup of Toppenish, didn't know the family when he shot his way into their farm house Wednesday night, injuring a woman and holding her husband two adult sons at gunpoint.
The man was able to push the gun aside long enough for his sons to overpower the man and SWAT officers to rush in.
It began with the carjacking in Sunnyside and a high-speed chase in which patrol cars were rammed, injuring a Sunnyside officer. The suspect also fired at an officer who returned fire.
Yallup is jailed for investigation of kidnapping, assault and carjacking.
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital