SELAH, Wash. - Authorities have confirmed that a body found in canal earlier in the week is that of an 18-year-old Selah teenager reported missing two weeks ago.
Jack Hawkins, the Yakima County coroner, said Friday that Chance Shrewsberry drowned.
Hawkins says the teen fell into the canal on April 30. A jogger discovered his body Thursday.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports the teen's family reported him missing April 30 but a search wasn't launched until May 2, when investigators interviewed the teen's friends and learned he had fallen into a canal.
Hawkins said a friend told investigators he was walking ahead of Shrewsberry when he heard him yell for help and saw him in the water.
Authorities said the friends may not have said anything because they were scared about what happened.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting