BELLINGHAM, Wash. - An Everson man has been convicted of vehicular homicide for a 2014 crash that left a motorcycle rider dead.
A Whatcom County jury deliberated for a day before finding 33-year-old Brian Smith guilty of vehicular homicide and obstructing law enforcement Wednesday.
The Bellingham Herald reports that Smith's Chevy Suburban collided nearly head-on with a motorcycle driven by 38-year-old Jason Schuyleman on Dec. 5, 2014.
That night Schuyleman, of Whatcom County, died in surgery at St. Joseph Hospital.
Smith testified at trial that he had one beer, contradicting what he earlier told state troopers. Jurors heard seven days of testimony, including from hospital staff who said Smith resisted a blood alcohol test. He eventually was sedated against his will, and his blood was drawn hours after the crash.
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March