SPOKANE - Spokane Sherrif's deputies have identified a murder victim found Friday afternoon in the Dishman Hills Natural Area.
Hikers discovered 46-year-old Doug Klages' body inside a shallow cave near Sargent Road.
Klages was a once a successful chef here in Spokane but lost his job and was living a transient lifestyle.
One of the last places Klages was seen alive was at the Union Gospel Mission last Tuesday when he wanted to spend the night at the Mission. He was turned away because he was intoxicated.
Counselors say Klages struggled with alcohol but never created problems in the community, just for himself.
?While he was here he was very popular amongst the guys because he was always pitching in and helping and volunteering. A chef by trade I believe so everybody always wanted him in the kitchen,? Dean Whisler with the Union Gospel Mission said.
Investigators say it appears that Klages was camping in the Dishman Hills area when he was killed.
Detectives attended his autopsy Monday but his cause of death has not been released.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line