SPOKANE, Wash. - An elderly woman died from the flu last week. The woman's death was the first flu-related death of the season in Spokane County.
The woman, who was in her 100s, was vaccinated, but she also had underlying health conditions.
According to the Spokane Regional Health District (SRHD), 82 people have been hospitalized because of the flu in Spokane County this season. At this time last year, there were only nine hospitalizations.
This season, 24 deaths from the flu have been recorded across the state.
SRHD recommends those who have the flu should:
- Stay at home and rest
- Drink plenty of water and other clear liquids to prevent fluid loss
- Avoid close contact with well people so they do not become sick
The SRHD recommends getting a flu vaccination.
- 1.2 million adolescents' deaths mostly preventable, report says
- Climate change to make turbulence stronger, more frequent
- UK prime minister: Ransomware attack has gone global
- British Airways cancels Saturday flights from Heathrow, Gatwick after IT outage
- Caprese salad
- Make the most of your next home improvement projects