A man in the United Kingdom said he didn't suspect that some of his recent stomach problems were the result of a plastic fork he swallowed 10 years ago, but doctors confirmed it.

The BBC reported that 40-year-old Lee Gardner, of Cudworth, Barnsley, was taken this week to a South Yorkshire hospital after complaining about severe stomach pains and blood in his vomit.

Doctors said after an initial exam didn't turn up a cause, they slid a medical camera into an opening in his stomach and spotted a 9-inch fork embedded in the lining.

According to reports, Gardner's surgeon, Hanis Shiwani, said the prongs of the fork had pressed on the stomach lining causing an ulcer that led to the bleeding.

"I can't believe it. I have never had any problems with my stomach except once a couple of years ago I remember thinking I felt like something had lodged when I bent over awkwardly," he told the BBC. "But the advice at the time was that it would just pass through my system, and as that was so many years before, I really didn't think it could be the fork."

Doctors said the fork was removed during a 45-minute surgery and that Gardner is doing well and should make a full recovery.

"If something does get lodged, then normally a patient would become ill almost immediately. This is why Lee’s case is so uncharacteristic," Shiwani told the BBC. "The plastic had been exposed to stomach acid for 10 years but apart from it being black, there was no damage. It didn’t melt it down or anything, which is remarkable."

It wasn't clear if doctors had performed an internal search of Gardner's body for any other utensils.

To read the original story, click here.