1. Avoid eating raw or undercooked pork.
2. Consume only pasteurized milk or milk products.
3. Wash hands with soap and water before eating and preparing food, after contact with animals, and after handling raw meat.
4. After handling raw chitterlings, clean hands and fingernails scrupulously with soap and water before touching infants or their toys, bottles, or pacifiers. Someone other than the food handler should care for children while chitterlings are being prepared.
5. Prevent cross-contamination in the kitchen: Use separate cutting boards for meat and other foods. Carefully clean all cutting boards, counter-tops, and utensils with soap and hot water after preparing raw meat.
6. Dispose of animal feces in a sanitary manner.